Re: Reverse Beacon Spots

Pete Smith

Yes, but all 3 predominant cluster software packages incorporate a variety of filtering, as well as internal routines to catch many of those busted calls before they get to users.  For example, I use a filter in ARCluster V6 that restrict spotter locations to my "neighborhood", and routinely filter bands and modes for the particular contest I'm in.  Dave has just written an excellent tabulation of cluster-based commands that can be used to block spot streams that aren't of current interest in each of those major programs - DXSpider, VE7CC and AR Cluster V6 - I believe it's in the Wiki, though I can't come up with the URL right now.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

Their software has been stripped down for speed, and does not support
any filtering, without which most users would agree that the spot
volume is too high to be very useful.

Anyone who starts to get spots from a "retail" cluster that supports
skimmer spots may find that the volume is *still* too high to be useful
without filtering.

As we were testing what was released today as SC 9.0.5, I found it
necessary to turn off FT8 cluster spots to avoid bogging SC completely.
When I added a cluster with a feed from PSKreporter (those spots are
not reported to the RBN), I found it necessary to limit spots to only
a couple of "lower activity" bands (like 6m and 10m), again to avoid
bogging SC.

If you choose to enable "skimmer spots" - beware.  Particularly during
contests the skimmer feeds through the retail clusters are full of
"busted" spots.  For RTTY, in particular, those spots often come in
the form of an extra letter at the beginning (e.g., K1AA -> EK1AA) or
a dropped letter at the beginning (e.g. VE5AA -> E5AA or VE2ZZ -> E2ZZ).
Relying on the RBN's own busted call detection is not always enough as
the same mistake is being made by more than one independent skimmer
receiver (Q:# > 1).

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
See https://reversebeacon.blogspot.com/2022/01/where-to-get-rbnspots-for-users-in-last.html. There are over 100 clusters carrying RBN CW and RTTY spots, and over 15 (listed in the article) that carry FT8 spots from us.

There was no "censorship" involved, by Dave or anyone else.  To set the record straight, we request that people *not* connect directly to the RBN's Telnet servers because those nodes are intended only to distribute spots to "retail" nodes for distribution to users.  Their software has been stripped down for speed, and does not support any filtering, without which most users would agree that the spot volume is too high to be very useful.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 1/12/2022 7:31 AM, Anthony wrote:
Now that the RBN has been censored from Spot Collector, does someone have a site that provides these spots?  Thanks for your help.
--

Anthony - N2KI