From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of w6de
Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 1:24 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] LoTW Update

Over several years I have tried many different Virus Checking programs and eventually abandoned all except for Microsoft's "Windows Security" provided with Windows-10.

I gave up trying to use 3rd party virus protection quite a while back. My conjecture is: The virus programs seemed to consider only the current versions of the executables you mark as allowed. And, that protection was good only for that single version/executable's signature [including those in a folder]. When a new version is issued the executable has a new signature and then the virus protection sees that executable as a new program/executable. I don't know this for sure, but it sure acted this way.

Your miss-trust of Microsoft's virus may well have valid in the past. But, Microsoft has significantly stepped up their approach and treatment of Computer Intrusion protection.** Along with the new Microsoft view of protection; we now see the quality of their product has noticeably improved in the Windows-10 versions. And, now with AA6YQ's submission of new DXLab components to Microsoft for validation had made life a lot easier for myself and a lot of other DXLab users.

73,
Dave, w6de

** Microsoft's new Windows-11 processor requirements for hardware security capabilities is clear evidence of this. It may be a bit overboard for us home users. But, it is certainly needed for Microsoft's Corporate and Business user community.