Re: Skimmer Spots Overwriting SOTA Spots

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 11:47 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
**AF9W comments below:
+ AA6YQ comments below

When there isn't much DX to chase I like to chase SOTA activators. I have cluster.sota.org.uk set as a spot source along with VE7CC. I only accept Skimmer spots from WA, OR, ID, and BC and I do so to see DX stations that show up on Skimmer before someone from NA-W spots them. I understand how SC combines spots given the time and frequency settings. When I get a spot from the SOTA cluster it shows up in a filter I have based on the Network item.

+ A Spot Database Entry's Network field contains the name of the spot source that most recently contributed information to that Entry. Why does your filter reference this field?
**I was looking for a way to distinguish SOTA spots.  There is a telnet link to SOTA spots and I was using the network name for that link.  However, I understand why that was the wrong way to do it.
+ What is the objective of your filter?
**The objective of my filter was to isolate SOTA spots from other spots when I just want to chase SOTA .  I also jump between a SOTA filter and a Needed DX filter to watch what is going on.
However, if a Skimmer spot comes in for the same station via VE7CC, the SOTA spot is overwritten and the SOTA spot disappears from my filter.

+ Information from a new spot is added to existing information; "over-writing" only occurs when a subsequent spot contains updated information, e.g. a new QSX frequency or a (hopefully) corrected grid square.
** Realizing that the Notes fields are not overwritten but additive I created a different filter using "Notes Like "?#*/*" AND <AGEFILTER> AND <MODEFILTER>" which seems to be doing a good job of isolating the SOTA spots with summit information from RBN spots.

** All is good now.  I really love your software, it is amazing.  I learn something new every time I use it.

Bob AF9W
DXLab user since 2011