From: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Windows 11
To: <DXLab@groups.io>

+ AA6YQ comments below

I assume it is too soon to access the impact of Windows 11 on current
sset-ups but wonder if you have any initial thoughts on what we will
gain form 11 and what we may lose?

+ Here's how Microsoft describes Windows 11:

"Windows 11 provides a calm and creative space where you can pursue
your passions through a fresh experience. From a rejuvenated Start
menu to new ways to connect to your favorite people, news, games, and
content—Windows 11 is the place to think, express, and create in a
natural way."

"Maximize your productivity: Access all the apps you need and
multi-task with ease with tools like Snap layouts, Desktops, and a new
more-intuitive redocking experience."

"New ways to connect: Connect instantly to the people you care about
right from your desktop with Microsoft Teams. Call or chat for free—no
matter what device they’re on."

"Your content, curated by you: With Microsoft Edge and a multitude of
Widgets you can choose from, you can quickly stay up to date with the
news, information, and entertainment that matters most to you. Easily
find the apps you need and the shows you love to watch in the new
Microsoft Store."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

+ Translation: this is a marketing driven release with a few usability
improvements aimed at bolstering Microsoft Teams (over Zoom),
Microsoft Edge (over Google Chrome), and content from the Microsoft
Store (over everyone else).

+ The only substantive technical improvement I've seen so far is the
added security gained by requiring Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0,
but unless this will put an end to ransom-ware or phone spam, it will
likely be perceived as weak tea; for the details, see

https://www.howtogeek.com/738163/why-does-windows-11-need-tpm-2.0/

+ The CPU and TPM prerequisites for Windows 11 could change with
time, depending upon Windows 11's rate of adoption.

+ So far, I see nothing in Windows 11 that will make DXLab run better,
or run worse.