Re: Logging and fox/hound

g4wjs

On 31/10/2021 13:06, Markku SM5FLM via groups.io wrote:
I made a fox/hound FT8 qso today (7P8RU), but I'm not sure what happened. I assume the qso was correct because I received an <my-call RR73> message. But the DXKeeper did not log the qso and no upload was done to LOTW or eqsl. I haven't worked fox/hound FT8 before, so maybe I have settings wrong.
Any tips?
Hi Markku,

WSJT-X does not use or understand messages like "K1ABC RR73; F1XYZ <P5DX> -10" in normal FT8 mode, they are not used except by Fox stations in FT8 DXpedition Mode. One of the features of Hound mode is to correctly parse and act on those type of messages.

MSHV with its "multi-stream" mode *does* use those type of messages in its half-baked implementation of FT8 DXpedition Mode so if you try and work a station using that variant you will find that QSOs ending or starting with that type of message will not progress as expected. For QSO starting it is probably OK as nothing is lost and the QSO may well continue later if they send a normal FT8 report message. For QSOs ending with that message its not so good as the Log QSO dialog will not be popped up automatically so you must remember to press the "Log QSO" button yourself.

The next version of WSJT-X will parse the above message type and act on it correctly.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill