Re: I'd like to use SpotCollectors Text Message Alert Function

Joe Subich, W4TV

I don't sent e-mail via the gmail SMTP server but I do have an
emergency gmail account that I and periodically check with
Thunderbird.

Thunderbird requires setting gmail to "Less secure app" (I do not
use an app password) and I have never had it refuse access because
"Less secure" was turned off.

On 2021-09-15 6:11 PM, Stan Gammons via groups.io wrote:
One can turn on "Less secure app" access for your gmail account, but I think it turns it back off after some period of time.
73
Stan
KM4HQE
On 9/15/21 4:08 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

# more AA6YQ comments below

+ AA6YQ comments below

I use a iPhone SE generation one running iOS 14.8 on which I would
like to receive text message alerts. My mail client is Gmail, but
I use the Mozilla Thunderbird app to send and receive mail. I have
run into several snags trying to follow the "Settings for popular
email servers
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/ConfigurationNotifications.htm#Settings
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/ConfigurationNotifications.htm#Settings>
for popular outgoing email servers> " on the "Configuring
SpotCollector for Email Alarm Settings" page. When I use the
"Settings for popular email servers" suggested settings for Gmail,
several problems occur: Using the "Settings for popular Outgoing
email Servers" settings for Gmail fails a test email. The error
message reads "Test message failed: the Outgoing email Server
address or port number is incorrect." Thunderbird's outgoing
server uses the same Gmail settings that don't work. I note your
warnings about needing 2 factor ID. I have enabled this. I note
that I will need app password, though I read elsewhere that
iphones with iOS I am running do not need app passwords.
Nevertheless, because my email test failed, I created app
password. I am unable to use that app password because I'm unable
to find the location on my phone where the app password
instructions say the password must be installed. Finally with
respect to configuring Google account to consider SSL to be
sufficient, I can't find any way to check the status of my account
regarding whether it considers SSL to be sufficient.
Would someone using Gmail please point out my error or talk me
through a successful setup they have used. I'm desperate for the
SMS messages on needed calls and entities.

+ Google has been making changes to the settings required to
access a Gmail account.

+ Google's instructions for configuring your Gmail account to
allow the use of SSL are here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en>

+ Google's instructions for obtaining an "app password" are here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

+ Your goal is to enable SpotCollector to send email messages to
your Gmail account. This does not involve either your Mozilla
Thunderbird app or your iPhone.

# The last sentence above should more accurately phrased

"Your goal is to enable SpotCollector to convey outgoing email messages via Gmail's outgoing mail server using the appropriate Gmail credentials. This does not involve either your Mozilla Thunderbird app or your iPhone."