Re: Ham M rotor to DXView

Bill Pence

I suspect you are correct...
But it was a great discussion!

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021, 1:51 PM BILL KENNAMER <k5fuv@...> wrote:
I suspect the original poster wants something plug and play, like the Green Heron or hygain digital box, not a diy solution.

K5FUV

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 9:09 AM, Bill Pence <pence.bill@...> wrote:

Unsure if the original poster Steven KN0L is still following...
(If so, can you tell us what direction you are thinking? The hygain dcu3 would be plug and play I suspect but pricy. The diy method is certainly workable...)

I see the ground issue. Dang.

Maybe the async adc readings and averaging in Arduino would mostly overcome this?

I suspect the k3ng should be taking several readings to average the direction readings.

I've not dug into the rotor code. I did not have big issues with the hd73 but the AC on ground would likely have been less, and my rotor cable was a bit sorter as the tower was not high then.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021, 10:00 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

 > I'd short 4 to 7 to always have metering.

That was a "standard" modification to the old HAM-M control box.

 > Arduino analog input from pin 3. Cap to ground to help smoothing of
 > reading perhaps.

Cap between terminal 3 (pot high) and 7 (ground/wiper) is not
effective since the AC is modulation on ground (ground shift)
relative to the Arduino reference ground.  One needs to minimize
the AC voltage generated due to the ~7.5A in the resistance of
the wire connecting terminal 1 from the controller to rotator
as that AC is in series with the directional DC.

With the Hy-Gain recommended wire size (#18 up to 125', #16 to 200'
and #14 to 300') the resistance in the terminal 1 connection can be
0.8 Ohms which results in several volts of AC *in series* with the
meter DC.