Re: Ham M rotor to DXView

Bill Pence

Unsure if the original poster Steven KN0L is still following...
(If so, can you tell us what direction you are thinking? The hygain dcu3 would be plug and play I suspect but pricy. The diy method is certainly workable...)

I see the ground issue. Dang.

Maybe the async adc readings and averaging in Arduino would mostly overcome this?

I suspect the k3ng should be taking several readings to average the direction readings.

I've not dug into the rotor code. I did not have big issues with the hd73 but the AC on ground would likely have been less, and my rotor cable was a bit sorter as the tower was not high then.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021, 10:00 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

 > I'd short 4 to 7 to always have metering.

That was a "standard" modification to the old HAM-M control box.

 > Arduino analog input from pin 3. Cap to ground to help smoothing of
 > reading perhaps.

Cap between terminal 3 (pot high) and 7 (ground/wiper) is not
effective since the AC is modulation on ground (ground shift)
relative to the Arduino reference ground.  One needs to minimize
the AC voltage generated due to the ~7.5A in the resistance of
the wire connecting terminal 1 from the controller to rotator
as that AC is in series with the directional DC.

With the Hy-Gain recommended wire size (#18 up to 125', #16 to 200'
and #14 to 300') the resistance in the terminal 1 connection can be
0.8 Ohms which results in several volts of AC *in series* with the
meter DC.