Re: Commander to SatPC32 integration - will not connect

g4wjs

Dave,

why are you running the SatPC32 installer using "Run as Administrator"? Most Windows installers will request elevated rights for just the parts of the installation that need it, like writing to the system registry. The installer should cause the system to prompt for credentials of an account with Administrator rights if it needs it, and automatically drop the elelvated rights when they are no longer needed.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 31/07/2021 02:25, Dave Fugleberg wrote:
OK, so I uninstalled SatPC32 using the standard Windows 10 'Apps and Features' panel, and reinstalled. This time, I ran the installer using 'Run as Administrator', but when prompted for a location I instructed it to install to a new folder c:\SatPC32\.  The installation completed successfully.

I tried to run it normally (NOT as Administrator), and it immediately pops an error dialog with the title Error and the text "runtime error 217 at 00673791".

I closed that dialog and ran it using the 'Run as Administrator' right click context menu, and it runs fine.

So, it still appears to want to touch some protected area of Windows, which is bad form indeed.

I wonder what's different between my Windows system and Bill's ?
73 de W0ZF

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
SatPC32 is installed to the default location where its installer puts it - C:\Program Files (x86)\SatPC32\

Joe, if I try to run the application as a regular user, it errors with "runtime error 217 at 00673791".

By the way, this is Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110

+ You have SatPC32 installed in a file system location that Windows considers "protected", which means it requires Administrator privileges to run.

+ I suggest that you uninstall it, and install it in an unprotected location, like C:\SatPC32

Bill

G4WJS.