Re: Windows 10 Port (com & LPT) vanished

Peter Laws / N5UWY

I have a modern PC so no serial or parallel ports. I do have serial
adapters plugged in for older radios and cables (that have DE-9s on
them) for some newer radios so plenty of COM ports all, it seems with
different drivers. I got rid of my last printer with a Centronics
port a while ago, so really don't need the USB adapter for that any
more (worked a treat, BTW). And then there are multiple USB sound
devices.

But all are currently working and none have disappeared lately.

For tracking down USB issues, I use these two dudes in addition to
Windows Device Manager and "Settings":

USB Tree Viewer -- https://www.uwe-sieber.de/english.html -- I like
the way it labels the trees.

USBDeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Both are "portable" apps that don't need installing.

Oh, and I run a batch file that looks like this for Device Manager:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

It would be nice if a USB device presented itself to the OS the same
way regardless of which "universal" port it was plugged into, but
that's not how things work, at least in Windows.