Re: Windows 10 Port (com & LPT) vanished

Bruce N7XGR

Mike,  The main ingredient is a 4 port USB hub inside of the 991.
The CODEC IC and the UART com port IC connects to it.  I believe that there
are 2 com ports, a standard and an enhanced, and so a 4 port
hub is needed.
With Device Manager open expand the USB controllers tree with the USB cable
unplugged, now plug it in and observe if this list changes by one.
If it does not then the 4 port hub is dead.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:47 AM Michael E Wilson Sr <ke5wct@...> wrote:
Thanks for the response:
1) I have tried all of the USB ports
2) don't have another computer
3) have used all of my USB cables

Note: The FT-991A internal device (SCU-17) gets its power directly from the Power Supply connected to the radio. When the P/S is turned on, at least when everything was working normally, the com port was connected (even with the radio off).

In the window's real:
1) the show hidden devices is enabled - nothing changes
2) reloading the drivers per Yaesu procedure, they appear to load but nothing changes.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 9:04 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

This is probably not the right forum for an issue of this kind.

 >>     Since this is obviously a Windows problem, thought it would throw
 >>     it out to the world and see if I could catch me a very big Window
 >>     10 SME (Subject Matter Enthusiast).

This is *not* "obviously a Windows problem".  1) have you tried
connecting the USB cable to a different (USB) port on the computer?
2) have you tried connecting the radio to a different computer?
3) have you tried using a different USB cable?

Is the radio turned on?  Most radio USB ports are powered by the
radio and disappear if the radio is off.  Have you double checked
the cable to confirm that it is *fully* connected at both ends?

In the Windows realm:  1) Have you enabled hidden devices in Device
Manager (View -> Show Hidden Devices)?  2) have you tried reloading
the USB driver from Yaesu?  Disconnect the USB cable, follow the
manufacturer's instructions for loading the driver as if it was new.

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--