Re: Using Ethernet to communicate with equipment

Jim Sanford

There's also a $5.00 book, "TCP/IP for Dummies" and an online course at udemy.com

Good luck!

Jim

wb4gcs@...

On 7/17/2021 12:06, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I am struggling to move to the "next level" of passing information from DXLab to various pieces of hardware via an Ethernet connection.

My problem is not with DXLab per-se but rather that much of the documentation (from  both  DXLab and the hardware manufacturers) assumes the user knows might actually know something about Ethernet communications to begin with.... which I dont . I dont even know what half the terms mean let alone the intricacies of how to use them ....help

Can someone direct me to a site that is HAMRADIO ETHERNET FOR DUMMIES. What is a UDP?  what is an IP address and when and why does it need to be static and when does in need to be dynamic. What is a NET MASK and and why do I care? etc etc etc.

"The Internet Protocol (abbreviated IP)  is responsible for addressing host interfaces, encapsulating data into datagrams and routing datagrams from a source host interface to a destination host interface across one or more IP networks. For these purposes, the Internet Protocol defines the format of packets and provides an addressing system."

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol

"The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is one of the core members of the Internet protocol suite. With UDP, computer applications can send messages, in this case referred to as datagrams, to other hosts on an Internet Protocol (IP) network. Prior communications are not required in order to set up communication channels or data paths. UDP uses a simple connectionless communication model with a minimum of protocol mechanisms. UDP provides checksums for data integrity, and port numbers for addressing different functions at the source and destination of the datagram. It has no handshaking dialogues, and thus exposes the user's program to any unreliability of the underlying network; there is no guarantee of delivery, ordering, or duplicate protection."

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) is one of the main protocols of the Internet protocol suite. It originated in the initial network implementation in which it complemented the Internet Protocol (IP). Therefore, the entire suite is commonly referred to as TCP/IP. TCP provides reliable, ordered, and error-checked delivery of a stream of octets (bytes) between applications running on hosts communicating via an IP network. Major internet applications such as the World Wide Web, email, remote administration, and file transfer rely on TCP, which is part of the Transport Layer of the TCP/IP suite. SSL/TLS often runs on top of TCP.

"TCP is connection-oriented, and a connection between client and server is established before data can be sent. The server must be listening for connection requests from clients before a connection is established. Three-way handshake, retransmission, and error-detection adds to reliability but lengthens latency. Applications that do not require reliable data stream service may use the User Datagram Protocol (UDP), which provides a connectionless datagram service that prioritizes time over reliability."

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

Information about IP addresses is provided here:

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/what-is-an-ip-address.htm

There are plenty of online articles, videos, and books that describe the internet protocol suite; Google any of the terms introduced above to find them.

Avast logo