Re: Memory: Kenwood R-5000

When looking into Commander's capabilities, it said that it had 100 memories in 10 banks (10x10). This coincides with the memory on-board the R-5000 and, it seemed sensible and intuitive that Commander could be used to easily upload up to 100 memory location's worth of settings from a Text or CSV-type of file, to the memory of my Kenwood R-5000 with just a few key strokes. That task having been done, one would not always need the connection to a computer and to use Commander ---- one could simply make use of the on-board memories.

This was desirable, particularly during mobile and emergency operations when carrying and putting additional reliance on a PC isn't sensible.

Perhaps I am missing something, but this very desirable function seems to be lacking. I can change the frequency and VFO (A vs B) and mode (FM, AM...etc). Perhaps someone can explain what, if anything, I am missing here.

+ Commander provides 10 banks of 10 memories for all supported transceivers; these memories remain accessible when Commander is switched from one primary transceiver to another. These capability rule out relying on the memories that some transceivers provide.

+ Most DXers do not use files that specify large numbers of frequencies, as shortwave listeners might do. They save frequencies on an ad hoc basis, e.g. for a sked or a net or to be able to monitor a frequency on which needed DX is may appear.

+ DXLab users all have computers, and most run Commander to control their transceivers and provide the other DXLab applications with access to the transceiver. Being able to use a transceiver without a computer is not useful.

+ In summary, what you characterize as a "very desirable function" isn't, at least for most DXLab users.