Re: IPv6

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 7:39 PM Stu Mitchell <stu@stu2.net> wrote:

Well, I think there are lots of advantages of moving to IPv6.... but
mostly from a large enterprise perspective. For example, large
enterprises are running out of RFC-1918 addresses. Interoperability is a
pain. For example, when two companies merge, they most likely have
"We're running out of IP space quickly and IPng is going to have to be
implemented in a couple of years." - Instructor (paraphrased) in the
first networking class I took in 1994.

RFC 1918 was a bad idea that only put off the inevitable. Our network
at the office is still solidly IPv4 but we just had a re-org and,
surprise, the incoming network has a 10-network that duplicates
addresses that already exist. Smart people warned everyone before i
was "law" -- https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1627 No one
listened. And those that were in favor probably retired before the
reality of duplicate addresses everywhere became apparent.

I had occasion to configure some stuff on IPv6 for one of our
constituent groups at work and the more I played with it, the more I
wished we'd moved to IPv6 in the 1990s.

But I don't see IPv6 happening in the vast majority of amateur radio
stations in the near future. Given the nature of a certain percentage
of support requests on this and other lists, that's probably just as
well.