Re: IPv6

Stu Mitchell

Well, I think there are lots of advantages of moving to IPv6.... but mostly from a large enterprise perspective. For example, large enterprises are running out of RFC-1918 addresses. Interoperability is a pain. For example, when two companies merge, they most likely have overlapping address space, which causes one part of the company to renumber or install translation mechanisms. So IPv6 is a great option because you can solve these problems with unique IP address space. Note - running an IPv6 network and an IPv4 network essentially means you're running two networks. So ditching IPv4 lets you get back to running a single network.

Most people don't even know they are already running IPv6. It's enabled by default in Windows, Linux and Macs. If you have a provider like Comcast, you can bet you're running IPv6. After you get past the long addresses, it's really pretty cool.

However, from the perspective of a typical Ham, IPv6 doesn't buy much at all. They probably have a 192.168.x.x address on their LAN and it gets translated into another IPv4 address at their router. All the DX clusters have IPv4 addresses, etc. So why change?

In general, the world is moving towards IPv6. 35% of the google traffic is now IPv6. As I wrote above, there is a business case for IPv6. The Feds are supposed to be IPv6 only by 2025. So eventually, we need to figure out how to move to IPv6 to simplify management. Unfortunately, applications that don't support IPv6 impede the transition. You can't turn off IPv4 and there isn't a cleaver mechanism to translate IPv4 into IPv6. There is for the other way around. (e.g. DNS64/NAT64)

Is the sky falling - no, of course not. IPv4 will be around for a long time, especially for typical home installations. However, I think IPv6 should be on the roadmap. At a minimum, there should be some research into adding it to DXLAB. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard it would be to add.

Hopefully, this doesn't start some sort of long string of e-mails. I'm just asking the question because I didn't know. Thanks so much for your work and a great program!

73

Stu2, W7IY

On 5/8/2021 5:07 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Is IPv6 implementation in the roadmap?

+ No, as I'm not aware of a compelling reason to add it. Have you run out of address space? Are you interacting with hosts that don't support IPv4? If so, for what purpose?

I'm trying to convert my lab/shack LAN networks to IPv6 only

+ What's the advantage of doing this?

but looks like I'll have to stay dual stack for a while. N1MM, DXLab and VE7CC seem to be IPv4 only.