Re: Log Transcription Features?

Jim Wysocki

That was my experience as well.  FLE was a good utility program, but DXK worked out better in the end.

73,  Jim  W9FI

On 5/7/2021 5:12 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

My friend has 8 complete paper logbooks, and 2 others in progress. He also has probably a couple of thousand cards. The time has come to transcribe those logs and reap his due rewards.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a document in the wiki that explains how to manage all of this, but here are my thoughts.

When entering old contacts into DXK, it's pretty straightforward, but could be easier in a significant way. Would it be possible to auto separate the date and time fields? That is, to include static slash and colon separators that could be tabbed or automatically moved across when typing the date?

As well the ability to retain the previously logged mode and the band as prefilled default entries in a new log record would be amazingly helpful. Jay, K4AZV keeps his 6M log separately. And he only works SSB on all bands, so that field is essentially hardwired in his log. Perhaps these could be implemented as a 'Transcription' section of the settings to make it user selectable behavior?

+ See "Logging COmpleted QSOs via the Main Window" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogCompletedMain.htm

+ Ops who have used both this and the "Fast Log Entry" (FLE) application report that once they were familiar with DXKeeper's keyboard shortcuts, entering "already completed" QSOs with DXKeeper was the faster than with FLE. They also pointed out that DXKeeper catches errors during entry that would only be detected when importing the ADIF file generated by FLE.