Re: Serial Port RTS Error upon startup Commander

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-04-28 7:42 PM, Saad Mahaini via groups.io wrote:
However, per Dave's comment, commander expects them to be set for "yes" thus automatically flags me with the reminder upon every startup.
I disagree with Dave for his "nanny" prompt. Users have been
placing a jumper between RTS and CTS ("fake handshake") with
Kenwood rigs ever since Kenwood started providing serial control.
It's even documented in the ARRL Handbooks of the 1980s. That
allows the use of RTS for PTT and DTR for CW on the same port as
radio control - something that contest software has made use of
since CT, NA and TR under DOS (late 1970s and early 1980s).

The problem is that new licensees don't bother to learn anything
about their equipment or software and expect everything tied up
with a bow and handed to them on a silver platter. Heck, there
are a lot of old-timers who can't be bothered to read manuals
or help files any more (and are *proud* of it).

On 2021-04-28 7:42 PM, Saad Mahaini via groups.io wrote:
Thanks Joe
That's exactly the issue.
I set them per the micro-ham document that you have posted for MK2 &3, so mine are both set to "X" and they work fine
However, per Dave's comment, commander expects them to be set for "yes" thus automatically flags me with the reminder upon every startup.
73 Saad
On Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 6:20:10 PM CDT, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:
Saad,

> Radio 1 IC-7600 via Microham MK-3
> Radio 2 FT-2000 via MK-2Radio 3
With a microHAM interface, set RTS to "N" (No) or "X" (high
on transmit - hardware PTT).
microHAM interfaces *DO NOT* support RTS to the transceiver.
MK, MK II and MK III handle RTS from the processor for rigs
that require handshake.  DK/DKII/USB II/USB III provide a
pull-up to +12 or +5V (RTS = Always On) for transceivers
that require RTS.
On 2021-04-28 5:22 PM, Saad Mahaini via groups.io wrote:
  Hi Dave
its

'''
CI-V Commander
the transceiver has not responded, and the serial port's RTS signal is not set to 'on" , which this transceiver typically requires; set the RTS signal to 'on"?

Yes or no Buttons options

''''''

Radios
Radio 1 IC-7600 via Microham MK-3
Radio 2 FT-2000 via MK-2Radio 3 TS-2000X direct

73 Saad N5FF

      On Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 3:55:52 PM CDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:
  + AA6YQ comments below

I have run commander configured for multiple radios

When i launch Commander, i in most cases only have one radio turned on or even none, as i sometimes start the program then  decide what radio to use, etc

when i don't have the Icom radio (Happens to be the first one of the three in Commander ) even if a different radio i selected from previous session, I get the error message

Inline image

+ Attachments are not conveyed here. What is the text of the error message?

+ What make and model transceivers are you using?