Re: Help with backup suggesiton

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comment below

After the recent emails about backups, I am wondering if there is a neat way to simply copy the MDB log file to an external HDD?

On my old Win7 PC, I had a small batch file that I could run from the desktop which use the xcopy function to copy my GU0SUP.MDB
file and replace it if it had been updated since the last backup. It also copied a few other files from within DXKeeper, such as
bands.txt, modes.txt, and also a copy of my Workspace settings. (Are there any other files I should back up at the same time?)

Now that I have a nice new Win10 Pro 64 bit machine, I would like to have something simple that could do a similar task. However, I
see that MS has deprecated xcopy, and the new option seems to be overly complicated for what is - essentially such a simple thing.

I am not sure I want a scheduled task to do this overnight, as that could potentially clash with one of those unsolicited Windows
updates that occur, even when you have stated that you wish to be advise BEFORE initiating the update.

+ A scheduled task that copies your log file to another hard drive will not conflict with a Windows Update that happens to occur
simultaneously. Presumably the Update would not reboot Windows while a file copy operation was in progress.

+ You might also consider backing up to free cloud storage like DropBox or Google Drive. Recovery is slower, but you are protected
against local catastrophes. Backing up both locally and to the cloud provides faster recovery and enhanced protection.