Re: Spot Collector Sluggish and slowing everything down

Saad Mahaini

Dave,

Just to circle back on this issue with some feedback

Everything got to the point of being so sluggish, almost non responsive and unusable.  During a contest with spots pouring in so fast, it was practically almost frozen.

I tried about everything recommend in the document., short of adding more memory and dedicating CPUs, the only thing that made HUGE difference is  "Size control" in the SC Config / Spot database.  I "cleared" it and also changed "Brune entries to  older than 1 day", also checked "clear data base on startup".

This made a night and day difference, and everything was responded instantly.

I will still explore the memory upgrade and CPU  allocation when i get to it, but for now this certainly made a huge difference

73 Saad N5FF

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 02:27:02 PM CDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Once i start Spot Collector, seems like everything slows down considerable and response time on other modules i.e. logging, etc. become noticeably sluggish, unresponsive in some cases

The worst response is when i try to do anything on teh spot Collector window.  For example clicking on a spot sometimes take many clicks /tries for it to respond.

Checking Windows task Manager shows Spot Collector continuously hogging anywhere from 25 % to 30 % of the CPU usage.

I limited the Spot collector spot sources to only one source (N6WS), that did not make a difference

I ran the PC in safe mode an that did not make a difference either

I disabled the protection (Defender and virus scans, etc) , with no difference

I'm not sure what to try next.

I guess the question is if its normal for SC to utilize this much CPU, and if so, why does it bring things to halt even at 30% CPU usage.  Even with everything running including SC, the total CPU usage is in the 50ish % range , is that too much?

+ CPU usage is only one of several factors that can slow system performance. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance