Re: Error Logging from JTAlert to DXKeeper

g4wjs

On 19/03/2021 17:44, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
1. Russ is using JTAlert with WSJT-X and DXLab.

2. Russ reported that each QSO logged from JTAlert to DXKeeper was creating two QSOs in DXKeeper

3. An analysis of DXKeeper's errorlog showed that DXKeeper was receiving two "log QSOs" directives

4. Russ found an "Outgoing Interfaces" setting in WSJT-X that evidently caused the double-logging

5. I wanted to be sure that setting was properly documented in "Getting Started with K1JT modes using WSJT-X, JTAlert, and DXLab"

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert

but could not find the "Outgoing Interfaces" setting in my instance of WSJT-X

6. Now that I understand that the "Outgoing Interfaces" setting only appears if the "UDP Server" address is set to a multicast address, I have updated the instructions cited above to suggest setting the "UDP Server" address to 127.0.0.1, which will prevent the double-logging.

Note: Configuration instructions in "Getting Started with DXLab" suggest a basic configuration suitable for most users. They do not cover all usage scenarios, for example hosting WSJT-X and JTAlert on different computers.

Hi Dave and Russ,

I'm not sure the "solution" mentioned in this thread is really the right one. If double logging was happening then either two servers were receiving logged QSO datagrams, or one server was receiving them twice. The former is quite possible when using multicast and the solution would be to configure one of the servers not to convey logged QSOs to DXKeeper. The latter could be due to a combination of the server listening on all local interfaces and WSJT-X being configured to send datagrams to more than one local interface (e.g. the loopback interface and a local subnet interface).

Reducing the outgoing network interfaces to just one could fix either of those issues but for the former it is not the right solution, and for the latter I would expect a multicast UDP server to have some control over which local network interfaces it listens on. For sure with the latter, and no such listening control, such a server is going to be prone to duplicate actions.

Bill

G4WJS.