Re: Commander won't launch

David Reed

Thanks Dave, got one on order now, arrives Wednesday!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

On Mar 1, 2021, at 00:46, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

@ more AA6YQ comments below
A disk problem with a bad sector; looking to replace it with an SSD drive, but reliability is my prime concern here.

+ In my view, making your local backup and recovery mechanism reliable should be your first priority.

Agree 100%; working on that and any recommendations are welcome.

@ SSDs are more expensive than rotating drives, but they are also more reliable. In dedicated backup service, however, a failed rotating drive (as you have now) is not fatal because the primary storage (ideally SSD)  and the cloud backup service both remain intact, preventing a single-bit failure from causing data loss, Thus I would simply replace your failed rotating drive with one having plenty of capacity.