Re: Commander won't launch

David Reed

my thoughts are between the lines…

On Feb 28, 2021, at 19:51, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
apparently in bring back a station backup from Carbonite, it overwrote with a corrupt file
+ That doesn't make me feel very confident in my own use of Carbonite as my cloud backup solution.

I went back to the carbonite files and they seemed okay (downloaded to separate file, not overwriting anything this time); I believe the internet glitch during the download affected it, more than that Carbonite was a problem...

glad it is working though, I am quite spoiled by using these fine programs and really feel crappy when my system prevents that.

I am doubly backed up; to external hard drive and external with Carbonite; good thing because the local one was shot with errors (tried it first due to low internet speeds).

+ What kind of errors did you encounter in your local backup? I use StorageCraft Shadow Protect for automatic daily backups to a network-accessible set of hard drives. On several occasions, I have mounted a backup volume and successfully restored files.

A disk problem with a bad sector; looking to replace it with an SSD drive, but reliability is my prime concern here.

It first started when trying to bring my new system back up; initially DX lab stuff was all working following directions on the wiki you sent me; but when I brought back my other files it cratered the .ocx file in question.

+  Are you saying that directing Carbonite to restore applications other than your DXLab applications damaged one of your DXLab application files?

I am trying to say that I theorize that the Visual Basic restore (probably should just have restored what I needed rather then the whole Megilla) seems to have been the culprit (given that downloading it and intalling it fresh fixed the problem).

Immediately after that it barfed; there was an internet outage during the restore of files from off site. Next time I have to restore from offsite, I will go to my son's house and use his better, faster  internet service.

+ In my view, making your local backup and recovery mechanism reliable should be your first priority.

Agree 100%; working on that and any recommendations are welcome.

A cloud-based backup and recovery capability is important for disaster recovery, but its recovery is too slow for "normal" use.

Agree with that too.

73 de Dave, W5SV