Re: DXKeeper - LotW Sync QSO and QSLs - Not Responding

w6de

There is something clearly wrong in Jon’s software configuration given the following information Jon Getfall has provided:

Item one: “I run an eight-core i7 with 64GB of RAM and have over 1GB of free space on my NVME SSD's. Resource monitoring shows vast amounts of headroom in terms of processor, network bandwidth, and memory utilization. I have no issues with my system and the many things it does. So, it's elusive. I'm going with a latent defect in Windows, but what is triggering it is... inexplicable.”

Item two: “Memory is 41% utilized, CPU is 40%, Disk and Network are 0%, and GPU is 8%. I don't have the skills to look into the number of open file handles, etc. But there are no other evident issues with closing, opening, and using numerous applications that would consume additional resources, open file handles and network connections, allocating memory, etc.”

Item three: “I never, ever run anti-malware software. They're the main source of problems. IMO, but YMMV, of course. I do run regular standalone scans and always come up clean. The built-in Windows 10 firewall does its thing, and my Unifi Software Defined Network's firewall is doing a lovely job as well. But agreed, what's in place is in place when it works and when it doesn't.”

I, w6de, run an i7 6-core system, NVME SSD, 16 GB memory and I almost never see 40% CPU utilization.  I see peaks of CPU use only when running WSJTX at its end of receive decoding.  My quote of Jon in item two clearly points to a software conflict or undetected malware infestation. 

Have you read this DXLab WIKI article and followed its advice?

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TerminateUnnecessaryApplications?highlight=%28programs%29

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jon Gefaell
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2021 00:01
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] DXKeeper - LotW Sync QSO and QSLs - Not Responding

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 02:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ For the record, I frequently see the "not responding" message in window title bars -- including in the title bars of Microsoft applications. Letting the operation run to completion invariably succeeds.

Thank you, Dave. I just did this again so that I could explain it carefully. Hopefully, this is useful at some point. I'm delighted to be discussing this, thank you.

I selected "Sync LOTW QSLs." The progress dialogue pops up and halts at 59 seconds. The title bar displays 'not responding,' and shortly thereafter, the windows dialogue comes up, saying the same thing and offering a choice of stopping the program or waiting. I select to wait. The DXKeeper windows (main, capture, and the QSL sync progress) are shaded. I have been waiting 35 minutes with no change.

Memory is 41% utilized, CPU is 40%, Disk and Network are 0%, and GPU is 8%. I don't have the skills to look into the number of open file handles, etc. But there are no other evident issues with closing, opening, and using numerous applications that would consume additional resources, open file handles and network connections, allocating memory, etc. 

I'll keep at it. It feels like a blocking issue. One day I'll find my gremlin. :) Thanks again, sir!

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.