Re: FW: [RTTY] 2Tone Update

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-02-14 2:51 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ This approach enables those able to run the new versions of 2Tone to do so with a one-time action, while permitting those still using older versions of Windows to continue using a version of 2Tone that
works with these older versions.
Since all versions of Windows prior to Windows 8 are long out of
extended support and no longer receive security updates from Microsoft,
their continued use is a threat to all other users. The 32 bit version
of 2Tone 21.02a will run on any hardware that supports 2Tone 15.05a or
later so why not begin including it instead of 2Tone 15.05a?

Including the 32 bit version of 2Tone 15.05a will mean one less manual
change for users with older hardware.

On 2021-02-14 2:51 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
David G3YYD recently posted the following message on the RTTY discussion group. My comments are preceded by + below.
----
I have issued an update to 2Tone for Windows 8 and later, which can be downloaded here:
https://www.rttycontesting.com/downloads/2tone/ Thank you to Don AA5AU for hosting.
I have updated the documentation that comes with 2Tone. Pease read even if you are an expert you may learn something.
2Tone.exe is a 32 bit image
2Tone64.exe is a 64 bit image and requires a CPU with the AVX instruction set.
These images will only work with Windows 8 and later. Before Windows 8 use an older version of 2Tone.
CPUs designed after about 2012 should have the AVX instruction set. Can test for it by downloading CPUID CPU-Z the middle front of
which shows the instructions sets available on the CPU. Using this instruction set with the 64 bit image uses the CPU cores more
efficiently. CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID <https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html> . If in doubt use the 32 bit version.
If you think you have found a bug, or I could make something clearer in the documentation then please email me your comments -
g3yyd@btopenworld.com
73 David G3YYD & M7T
----
+ The current public version of WinWarbler (9.3.3) includes 2Tone version 15.05a, which runs on all versions of Windows on which
WinWarbler can run.
+ My plan for supporting the new versions of 2Tone.exe announced above is to
1. continue including 2Tone version 15.05a in future WinWarbler releases
2. extend the next version of WinWarbler to look in its folder for a version a 2Tone named
My2Tone.exe
+ and use this version if it is present.
+ Thus ops who wish to use one of the new versions announced above would
a. delete the 2Tone.exe in their WinWarbler folder
b. download the desired new version of 2Tone into their WinWarbler folder, and rename it My2Tone.exe
+ Upgrading to a subsequent new version of WinWarbler would restore the deleted 2Tone.exe, but WinWarbler would ignore it and run
My2Tone.exe.
+ This approach enables those able to run the new versions of 2Tone to do so with a one-time action, while permitting those still
using older versions of Windows to continue using a version of 2Tone that works with these older versions.
+ Many thanks to David G3YYD for continuing to move 2Tone forward!