Re: trying to interface my Yaesu FT991A with DxLab - no joy

Joe Subich, W4TV

I can communication with the radio using the programming software that I bought so I confirmed my cable is good and apparently that software is using a driver that works with the radio.
Are you connected to the transceiver using the USB connection or
using the RS-232 connection? Mentioning an external cable would
tend to indicate a third party cable connected to the GPS/CAT jack
and not a generic USB cable connected to the USB jack.

If you are using a third party cable connected to the GPS/CAT jack,
make sure that:
Menu item 028 "GPS/232C Select" is set to RS232C.
Menu item 029 "232C Rate" is set to 38.400 bps
Menu item 030 "232 TOT" is set to 1000 or higher

If you are using a USB A-B cable connected to the USB jack, make
sure that:
Menu item 031 "CAT Rate" is set to 38,400 bps
Menu item 032 "CAT TOT" is set to 1000 or higher
Menu item 033 "CAT RTS" is set to DISABLE
In addition, make sure that Commander is configured for the correct
virtual port created by the Yaesu USB driver (it creates two ports
one "Enhanced" port for CAT, one "Standard" port for FSK, PTT, CW,
etc.). See "FT-991A SCU-17 USB Driver Installation Manual" in the
Files area of the FT-991A listing at www.Yaesu.com.

On 2021-02-04 10:54 AM, Lance HP wrote:
Hi. Trying to get the DXlab commander to communicate to the subject radio. I haven't had any luck so far. I don't really know what the communications setting should be for the radio (com port, baud rate, etc). I can communication with the radio using the programming software that I bought so I confirmed my cable is good and apparently that software is using a driver that works with the radio. I am not sure about DXLab though. I downloaded the driver from Yaesu and that didn't really change anything. I didn't change the default comm settings in commander and at a loss of what to change them to.
Any suggestions?
By the way, it occurred to me that I might have to upgrade my radio firmware, but I shied away from that 'rabbit hole' for now.