Re: Meteor scatter

Joe - W9RF

Hello Hasan,

I understand that now.

So I don't know if I will continue entering he current meteor shower or not?

Guess I might as well since it doesn't have any meaning even if it's wrong.

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 1:15:26 PM CST, Hasan Schiers N0AN <hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:

...and if you set the propagation mode, you are only guessing. Just because an MSK144 qso took place during a shower, does not mean it wasn't lite Es, ionoscatter or tropo ducting or even F2. (far fetched right now)

We have been testing ionoscatter on 6m lately and have observed meteor pings, lite E skip, and tropo ducting all during the same qso.

The actual mode is a complete guess, and there is no way to verify any mode for any award. In other words, the entry is your opinion for your own consumption.

It would be different for EME, of course, there you know the prop mode with a very high degree of confidence.

It has  no standing with anyone else.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 2:59 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I have been working the recent meteor showers and have made a few contacts via MSK144, my question is do I need to enter the name of the meteor shower in the propagation box or is this for my consumption only?

+ I don't know what if any requirements there might be for awards based on MSK144 QSOs. My advice is to select or enter the name of the meteor shower on the Configuration window's Defaults tab at the beginning of a meteor shower session, and then clear it after the session is complete.

The ones that have been confirmed did not populate the propagation box.

+ MSK144 might be used with other propagation modes, like Aircraft Scatter, so DXKeeper does not automatically set a QSO's propagation mode to MS when you set its mode to MSK144.

+ In response to a "Sync LoTW QSLs" operation, LoTW does report the propagation mode reported by your QSO partner, but DXKeeper currently ignores it on the assumption that you're more likely to log this item correctly than your QSO partner.