Re: WSJT-X Time Sync--Request for Document Change

CSM\(r\) Gary Huber - AB9M

I've been using NTP and BKT Time Sync with a West Mountain Radio USB GPS Module (for those times when the internet link is down or not available) .

I know, belt and suspenders, but it keeps the computer clock in synch.

Gary ~ AB9M

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> on behalf of Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 8:31 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [DXLab] WSJT-X Time Sync--Request for Document Change

Dave,

My favorite reference on implementing the Meinberg NTP is:
   <https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html>

Here is the application I use to monitor the NTP server performance:
<https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp-server-monitor.htm>

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-12-24 8:47 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> * AA6YQ comments below
>
>> + Re "The Meinberg time application sets the internal Windows time mechanism to adjust the value of the tick, not the clock"
>>
>> + What is the difference between "the value of the tick" and "the clock"?
>
> normally a full implementation of the NTP protocol will slew the system clock frequency to guarantee that the clock is monotonic. SNTP implementations tend to simply step the clock now and again to force time synchronization. Audio streams are synchronized with the system clock, so discontinuities from a non-monotonic clock are likely to cause discontinuities in them.
>
> * So Meinberg's implementation of the full NTP protocol results in more frequent updates to the computer's clock that only move the clock forward in time, avoiding larger changes or "time reversals" that could prevent correct decoding of time-sensitive protocols like FT8 and FT4. Correct?
>
> * I tried installing Meinberg per the updated instructions. The installer complained that all was not well and instructed me to "check my event log". Wandering into the NTP/bin folder (a time warp back to command line interpreters), I managed to start the NTP server. How does one monitor the server's operation to confirm that it is behaving correctly?
>
>      73,
>
>                Dave, AA6YQ
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.