Re: Logging WSJTX Q's into DXKeeper

w6de

Wrapping another feed line on a toroid makes that toroid a transformer and couples any signals on the shields of those cables to all the cables wound on the toroid.  So, no wrapping another cable on a toroid is not a good idea.  Use a separate toroid/ferrite on each line.

I have put different types of toroids-ferrites on every line in my shack.  I put small clamp on ferrites each and every cable coming from my computer and most of the time on each end of the cable—this eliminates a lot of birdies in receivers and reduces somewhat the susceptibility of RF interference to those devices.  Since my LAN Ethernet connections are wired I use several clam-on ferrites at all the cables at the e-net switch and single ferrites at each device connection. [I don’t use wireless Ethernet connections.]

On all AC power cables in the shack I put low frequency large clamp on ferrites on the cords at the plugs.  For wall-warts I use small clam-on ferrites—wall-warts now-a-days are mostly switching power supplies and are a source of more receiver birdies.

All coax and control cables entering and exiting the shack to the antenna farm have large clamp-on ferrites on them to keep RF out of the shack.

I have probably used nearly a hundred clamp-on ferrites in my shack.  I’ve gotten to the point where if I run out of a ferrites of a particular size I order another 20 just in case I need one if I add another piece of equipment in my shack.

This is my third radio shack I’ve assembled and I’ve learned over the years that is no such thing as too many ground straps and clamp-on ferrite in a radio shack.  I might be overdoing this but as a result, I don’t have any RF feedback problems and I have a very low number of ‘computer’ birdies in my receivers.

73,

Dave, w6de