Re: Logging WSJTX Q's into DXKeeper

w6de

Wrapping another feed line on a toroid makes that toroid a transformer and couples any signals on the shields of those cables to all the cables wound on the toroid.  So, no wrapping another cable on a toroid is not a good idea.  Use a separate toroid/ferrite on each line.

I have put different types of toroids-ferrites on every line in my shack.  I put small clamp on ferrites each and every cable coming from my computer and most of the time on each end of the cable—this eliminates a lot of birdies in receivers and reduces somewhat the susceptibility of RF interference to those devices.  Since my LAN Ethernet connections are wired I use several clam-on ferrites at all the cables at the e-net switch and single ferrites at each device connection. [I don’t use wireless Ethernet connections.]

On all AC power cables in the shack I put low frequency large clamp on ferrites on the cords at the plugs.  For wall-warts I use small clam-on ferrites—wall-warts now-a-days are mostly switching power supplies and are a source of more receiver birdies.

All coax and control cables entering and exiting the shack to the antenna farm have large clamp-on ferrites on them to keep RF out of the shack.

I have probably used nearly a hundred clamp-on ferrites in my shack.  I’ve gotten to the point where if I run out of a ferrites of a particular size I order another 20 just in case I need one if I add another piece of equipment in my shack. 

This is my third radio shack I’ve assembled and I’ve learned over the years that is no such thing as too many ground straps and clamp-on ferrite in a radio shack.  I might be overdoing this but as a result, I don’t have any RF feedback problems and I have a very low number of ‘computer’ birdies in my receivers.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Hasan Schiers N0AN
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2020 23:38
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Logging WSJTX Q's into DXKeeper

Can you wrap more than  one device cable on to that 2" toroidal forrf choking, or do you need a separate choir for each cable?

Also, a url for the specific choke being recommended would be very helpful.

TIA, 73 N0AN 

Hasan

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020, 5:28 PM BILL KENNAMER <k5fuv@...> wrote:

Further to that, wrap all cables coming into your computer around a two inch type 31 toroid  form. That will probably eliminate your rfi problem, which needs to be done first. 

K5FUV 

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, November 27, 2020, 4:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I sometimes am unable to log WSJT Q's thru JTAlert due to RFI issue. I must log manually.

Today, for first time, I copied WSJT-X log and pasted it into DXKeeper k7eg.adi file.  There is also a k7eg.mdb folder.  I only used adi file.  Is that correct?

+ No. DXKeeper does not reference your K7EG.ADI file, thus your action had no operational impact.

+ If your objective is to import all QSOs logged by WSJT-X that were not logged to DXKeeper, then you must import the ADIF file generated by WSJT-X into your DXKeeper log file with duplicate checking enabled and set for a range of 1 minute. This requires DXKeeper to check each QSO being imported against every other logged QSO; depending on the number of QSOs in your log and the number of QSOs being imported, this import operation can take a very long time. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOImport>

There maybe several dupes but that did not cause a problem. The JTAlert to DXKeeper works most of the time but once RFI hits it - game over.

+ DXLab applications require a reliable computer running Windows. A situation in which RFI is interfering with your computer's operation does not meet this requirement.

+ The adverse impact on your computer each time you transmit could be doing damage that isn't as visible as a QSO not being logged from JT-Alert to DXKeeper. I strongly suggest that you

1. backup your log, all critical files, and all settings, as described in steps 1, 2, and 3 in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs>

+ The SafeStorage folder referred to in those instructions should be somewhere other than on your computer; a thumb drive, for example.

2. Backup all other critical files and application installers

3. Eliminate the RFI problem

4. Wipe your hard drive, re-install Windows, and re-install your applications (Complete the rest of the steps in the article cited above)

+ Step 4 prevents a latent problem or set of problems caused by RFI from popping up unexpectedly at some inconvenient point in the future.

Dave, AA6YQ

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.