Re: SR/SS Tables Strike Again

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Chuck,
We were discussing the use of the Sunrise/Sunset tables in DXView and how useful they are at the onset of winter low band dx'ing season, particularly on 160 and 80m FT8.

Just plug a call into DXView and Click on Sun....it will generate a set of tables for that QTH Sunrise and Sunset. If you click on Grayline, it will show you if you have any grayline propagation (often not the case).

For a discussion of how to put the Sunset/Sunrise tables to use, here is the reference:

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:50 PM Chuck, WS1L <chandlerusm@...> wrote:
I've missed the thread, but find it of interest.  Would anyone like to re-send me the salient points?

Alternatively, Dave may think it a good candidate for the DXLab wiki.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 8:36 AM Hasan Schiers N0AN <hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:
I put up an inverted L for 160 about a month ago. It is parallel to the tower for the first 45' fed at the base, about 3' away from the tower. It then slopes 90' down to the far tree line.

Yesterday, late afternoon, I was perusing the SunSet Tables of DXView while watching 160m. 20 minutes before local sunset M0xxx (England) popped up on FT8 for a total of 1 minute (two sequences). This was predicted by the work of K9LA and the tables of DXView.

This morning on 160m, 30 minutes before local sunrise, JA's appeared en masse, and had a large peak right at sunrise and stayed until 13 minutes after sunrise.

In that 40 min window, I worked 7 JAs and a 3D2, all thanks to paying attention to those tables in DXView.  It was the first 160m JA Dx of this season and rivalled the best I saw all last winter.

I wouldn't have taken a serious look this morning had we not had the discussion a day or two ago about how to use the SR/SS and Grayline Tables in DXView. Thanks for the tips!

73, N0AN
Hasan