Re: CBA and Nicknames

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM David Reed <w5sv.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

So Dave, if you drop them, what would replace them? Many of us do not buy callbook CDs, etc.
Alternatives are listed at https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup

I've been using HamQTH (the only other "free" option, I suppose). It
seems to work OK... but CBA data is not really important to me, since
I've mostly stopped doing paper cards.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Sep 30, 2020, at 17:28, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

To clarify, I'm not concerned whether there is a nickname displayed or not. Just noticed that a nickname in quotes was the key difference to Pathfinder lookups that return a blank name and first line of address blank.

+ That's happening because the insertion of the nickname breaks Pathfinder's ability to extract the first name and address.

+ QRZ is certainly free to change their web page however and whenever they like, but the impression of apparent unreliability this evokes when one of their unannounced changes breaks Pathfinder -- particularly among new users -- is leading me to consider dropping "QRZ.com via Pathinder" as a callbook option in DXKeeper.