Re: Slow Starting DXLabs Components

Jim N7US

My shack computer is an HP OMEN Desktop 870-247c, which has a 7th-generation i7-7700 CPU, 32 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD (from Costco in 2017).

With Win4K3Suite, including its spectrum display using my SDRPlay RSP1A, and VE7CC's CC User already running, DXLab, including Commander, DXKeeper, DXView, SpotCollector, and WinWarbler, takes 1 minute 10 seconds to start. I have 97K QSOs in my log.

I had BitDefender TotalSecurity, Acronis True Image, microHAM USB Device Router for my microKEYER III, and Microsoft One Drive running already.

I always buy more computer capacity than I think I will need because it takes so long to install and configure all the programs, I want it to be usable for a long time.

My internet service is fair, as it's wireless. My download speed is typically less than 20 Mbps.

Jim N7US

-----Original Message-----

I've noticed that start-up times are very closely tied to internet speeds. My provider is temporarily using multiple bonded LTE links due to a fiber issue feeding our community.

My start-up can take anywhere from 15 to 60 seconds for a 40K log. I can see the "waits" as DXK launches the command process to check LotW/tQSL, as Pathfinder logs into QRZ.com, and as SpotCollector starts/launches four cluster sources.
I am sure the wait would be longer if I included PropView in the autostarts.

Dave, it would help if those internet access items were not blocking!

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-09-24 12:31 PM, Gilbert Baron W0MN wrote:
I think you are right. I do not have an SD and will live with this onetime thing until and unless I buy a new desktop. Running 12 Gigs and i7 but only 2 thread. My 2Tb drive is over 10 years old I think and not surprised that many things start a bit slowly. I let PC run all of the time although do allow sleep. A full bootup is agonizing although I do it from time to time, usually when updates happen.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete Smith
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 10:57
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Slow Starting DXLabs Components

My DXKeeper took 23 seconds for 173K QSOs - which may be thanks to my
SSD, since my processor is only an i5

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net> <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 9/23/2020 6:47 PM, w6de wrote:

Hassan, your time to load may be normal for your Logbook.

I just timed my DXLabs start-up from launcher by clicking “Start.” On my overbuilt i7 system with my ~10,000 QSO log book my DXLab Suite takes 35 seconds to complete loading. I consider this completely normal. It has been this way for several years including when I was running Windows-7. The longest activities to load are DXKeeper and SpotCollector. I don’t know if award checking takes longer for my log book and SpotCollector due to sorting of my award status.

Dave, w6de

[mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Hasan Schiers N0AN
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 21:17
To: DXLab@groups.io <mailto:DXLab@groups.io>
Subject: [DXLab] Slow Starting DXLabs Components

Core I5, 3.2 GHz ,8 GB RAM, Win10 Pro

I have observed this quite a bit and I do have the C:\DXLabs folder excluded from Windows Defender ...but it still is 20 to 30 sec starting.

While searching for a solution, I ran into this:

"Yes, excluding a directory in Defender will also exclude all files and subdirectories recursively. Yes, subdirectories are covered by exclusions. HOWEVER, exclusions only apply to scanning, not to Real-Time Protection."

Does this possibly account for slowness to start? As I read this it appears to say that there still may be some anti-virus activity going on due to Real-Time Protection.

Ideas?

73, N0AN

Hasan

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.