Re: WinWarbler

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2020-08-25 2:34 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ If one is emulating hardware and only expects to employ a single application with that emulation, then it is reasonable to determine
what subset of the hardware specification must be implemented to
"satisfy" that application, and limit the emulation to that
functionality to avoid spending time implementing emulation
functionality that the application will not use. However, if you
intend to use multiple applications with that emulation, then it is
generally better to emulate the hardware's full functionality.
Here's the rub ... Bo says his application (a WinKeyer emulator) works
fine with one application - K1EL's WK3 Demo (but he doesn't say which
version of WK3 Demo - there have been at least three released) but
fails with WinWrbler. Thus he has not implemented a sufficiently
complete version of the WinKey emulation to satisfy the multiple
applications.

I have no doubt that K1EL deigned WK3 to be tolerant of WK1/WK2
compliant applications - that is I can use WK Demo (for WK1/WK2)
to "talk to" WK3 and control those features that are common to
WK2 and WK3. *HOWEVER*, I can not use WK3 Demo to "talk to" or
control WK1 or WK2 as WK3 Demo (v.41) will fail to open either
WK1 or WK2 devices.

On 2020-08-25 2:34 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I'm trying to understand the documentation for WK3 but
obviously I'm
failing.
You can not limit yourself to WK3. There are significant issues in
maintaining backward compatibility with WK 1 and WK 2. Study the
documentation on *ALL THREE* versions to understand the full range
of requirements for "WinKey compatibility".
Why not? If he wants to emulate a WinKeyer, and the software that he
needs to interact with supports the latest version of the protocol,
being fully compliant with that protocol should be sufficient.
+ No one has reported any problems with WinWarbler interoperating with any version of WinKey. If a defect is reported, I will of course correct it.
+ If one is emulating hardware and only expects to employ a single application with that emulation, then it is reasonable to determine what subset of the hardware specification must be implemented to "satisfy" that application, and limit the emulation to that functionality to avoid spending time implementing emulation functionality that the application will not use. However, if you intend to use multiple applications with that emulation, then it is generally better to emulate the hardware's full functionality.
+ Bo, I've been unable to help because none of the strings you have posted are valid WinKey commands, so I can't tell what your emulator is doing.