Re: WinWarbler

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:34 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm trying to understand the documentation for WK3 but obviously I'm
failing.

You can not limit yourself to WK3. There are significant issues in
maintaining backward compatibility with WK 1 and WK 2. Study the
documentation on *ALL THREE* versions to understand the full range
of requirements for "WinKey compatibility".

Why not? If he wants to emulate a WinKeyer, and the software that he
needs to interact with supports the latest version of the protocol,
being fully compliant with that protocol should be sufficient.

+ No one has reported any problems with WinWarbler interoperating with any version of WinKey. If a defect is reported, I will of course correct it.

+ If one is emulating hardware and only expects to employ a single application with that emulation, then it is reasonable to determine what subset of the hardware specification must be implemented to "satisfy" that application, and limit the emulation to that functionality to avoid spending time implementing emulation functionality that the application will not use. However, if you intend to use multiple applications with that emulation, then it is generally better to emulate the hardware's full functionality.
Agreed. I was just noting that there's no need for Bo to emulate
WinKeyer v1, unless he needs to interoperate with some application
that only supports v1.

+ Bo, I've been unable to help because none of the strings you have posted are valid WinKey commands, so I can't tell what your emulator is doing.
Same. That's why I asked for detail on the exchange up to the point of
failure (at the raw byte value level).

73,

~iain / N6ML