Re: Controling radio functions in DX Commander WITH SatPC32

Enjoying DXLab suite and trying to extend my use of Commander with SatPC32 to assist remote operation (initially from elsewhere in my own house). SatPC32 GUI manages frequency, tuning, mode (SSB/CW/FM), and PTT. I'd like to adjust TX power and main band audio level remotely using DX Commander. I've programmed a slider for TX power and for audio volume, several buttons to set a discrete power level, and a button to set the TX time-out to 3 minutes. DX Commander successfully performs these functions when selected to use the radio (IC-9100). The buttons and sliders do nothing if SatPC32 is selected. I understand that this is the intended operation.

Using comm port splitting software (Eterlogic VSPE), I can switch Commander back to the 9100, execute the command, then manually switch back to SatPC32 and continue. (Note - I am using the USB cable connection, the CIV connection is not being used but I have a cable available to do so.)

+ Having two applications simultaneously sending CI-V commands to the same Icom transceiver is unreliable; never do this!

What I would like to know:
- Can I make the buttons and sliders "live" without disconnecting Commander from SatPC32?

+ No.

- Can I configure the commands to change the button or LED color to indicate the command was executed successfully?

+ You can change the button or LED color using a directive in a user-defined command sequence. What does " the command was executed successfully" mean?

- Can I append a command append to the buttons and sliders to instruct Commander to reconnect to SatPC32 after executing the command?

+ No

- Any suggestions for minimizing contention of the CIV bus between Commander and SatPC32 when both are live?

+ Port splitting software can only be safely used when only one of the connected applications sends commands, and the other connected applications or devices all passively monitor the results without ever sending commands.

I expect normal operation will be to leave SatPC32 connected and disconnect briefly to adjust transmit power as a satellite gets closer.

+ Step 3 in the Configuration section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SatelliteTracking>

+ describes how to set up two primary transceivers: one in which Commander directly controls the transceiver, and one in which Commander interoperates with SatPC32. This enables you to switch Commander between "direct control" and "SatPC32" control with one mouse click, but as described in the above-cited documentation, you must terminate SatPC32 before selecting "direct control" and start SatPC32 after directing Commander to interoperate with SatPC32. While Commander has direct control, you can adjust your transceiver's settings with sequences and sliders.

+ Configured as described in the above article, Commander will display IC-9100 and SatPC32 buttons in its Main window's VFO panel.

+ For SatPC32 control,
1. click Commander's SatPC32 button
2. start SatPC32

+ For direct control
1. terminate SatPC32
2. click Commander's IC-9100 button
3. adjust the IC-9100's settings via user-defined sequences or sliders

+ If SatPC32 were extended to accept "stop sending CAT commands to transceiver" and "resume sending CAT commands to transceiver" directives from an application like Commander, then it would not be necessary to terminate SatPC32 during the brief intervals when Commander has direct control of the transceiver in order to adjust its settings.