Re: MSK144 logging and time keeping

Bill Pence

yes, no easy answer for this.
MSK144 qso can potentially take super long times....
I think the QSO end time might still have certain flexing as well based on when I get messages vs when the partner sent them?

I certainly get the concept to avoid inaccurate info in your log, but in this narrow case,
I'm not sure I agree that tweaking (yes, that makes it inaccurate) your QSO start time to be within the
30 minute window of the partner logged time (the QSO end time in the case of the original poster) is "bad"
it seems a a minor infraction.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:48 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 2:12 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

> + AA6YQ comments below
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 01:44 PM, Bill Pence wrote:
>
> So, I asked if he changed his qso start time to be within 30 mins of partners end time.
>
> The logic was this would get an lotw match...
>
> + I recommend against putting incorrect information in your log. Contact your QSO partner, point out the error, and ask them to resubmit the QSO with the correct start time.

When, exactly, does a QSO start? This may seem like a stupid question
to those who have not tried meteor scatter. I may double-click on your
CQ to start calling you at 11:00. You may hear me calling at 11:20,
and start sending a signal report to me. I may not receive your signal
report until 11:40. When did the QSO start? 11:00? 11:20? 11:40? As
far as WSJT-X is concerned (IIRC), it starts for me when I
double-click on your CQ. (11:00), but for you, it doesn't start until
you receive my call at 11:20. I have no way of knowing when you
started answering my call, so do I assume that the QSO starts at 11:40
when I first received a report from you?

It seems the error rate might be lower (but still not zero) if LoTW
used the QSO end time instead of the start. A possible way to
accomplish this would be to make WSJT-X (and variants) use the time at
which the QSOs is logged as both the start and end time, but this
would have to be applied unanimously.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML