Re: Switching from CT-17 RS-232 interface to a USB interface

Joe Subich, W4TV

So, let me see if I can guess what goes to what.

* USB cable to the USB port on the back of the radio, with other end
going to a USB port on the PC. * 3.5mm plug into the "Remote" CI-V radio port, with other end going
to a USB port on the PC. (is that even possible? > * USB cable going from USB port on Steppir controller, with other end
going to a USB port on the PC. > * USB cable going from USB port on Green Heron RT-21 controller, with
other end going to a USB port on the PC > * USB cable going from USB port on Elecraft amplifier, with other end
going to the PC
You will still need a multiple port serial card - with separate ports
for your SteppIR, rotator and amplifier. They will be controlled by
Commander's Secondary Serial Port just as before the lightning strike.
The only change is to use the virtual serial port created by the Icom
USB driver for CAT/CI-V instead of one of the ports on the multiple
serial port card and the CT-17.

See the various Icom documentation on-line.

Do I change anything with the SignaLink or leave it like it is?
If you want to use the Signalink instead of the IC-7600 internal USB
sound card, it connects to the ACC1 jack as it did before.

On 2020-07-18 5:08 PM, David Lane wrote:
Joe....not having dealt with any of this since the last lightning strike, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details to getting it all working again. I have read all the manuals again. I just want DXLab Suite to still have control of the Green Heron RT-21 rotator controller, the 4 ele SteppIr antenna controller, and the Elecraft KPA1500 amplifier.
- I WAS using a 4 port DB-9 serial port from the PC to control those pieces of gear, but if it would be better and easier to switch to USB, then that's what I'll do.
- I have been using a SignaLink USB hooked up to the IC-7600's ACC-1 port and a USB cable to the PC.
- I WAS using the Icom CT-17 interface connected to a serial port on the PC. From the CT-17 is one 3.5mm plug going to the radio's "Remote" CI-V port, and one 3.5mm plug (on one end) going to a DB-9 serial port on the Steppir controller.
So, let me see if I can guess what goes to what.
* USB cable to the USB port on the back of the radio, with other end going to a USB port on the PC.
* 3.5mm plug into the "Remote" CI-V radio port, with other end going to a USB port on the PC. (is that even possible?)
* USB cable going from USB port on Steppir controller, with other end going to a USB port on the PC.
* USB cable going from USB port on Green Heron RT-21 controller, with other end going to a USB port on the PC.
* USB cable going from USB port on Elecraft amplifier, with other end going to the PC
And all of these USB connections will turn into Comports which will be recognized by DXLab apps, right? Do I change anything with the SignaLink or leave it like it is?
I truly appreciate the help from other DXLab guys who've been there and done that.
73,
David, K4ZZR
On 2020-07-17 8:04 PM, David Lane wrote:

Joe....ok, appreciate the answer. Like I said, I've been using DXLab Suite for many years using the CT-17 and it has worked well, so is there any advantage to using something like the USB interface instead? Just as stable? Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to ship off my IC-7600 for another repair of the Remote port. Icom charged me about $900 to fix it 7 years ago by replacing the Main board. Ugh.
73,
David, K4ZZR
On 2020-07-17 7:17 PM, David Lane wrote:
I've used an Icom CT-17 RS-232 interface for several years and it's worked well. Now, after the latest lightning strike took out several pieces of gear (including the CT-17 and the "Remote" port on the back of my IC-7600, I'm thinking maybe it's time to go with a USB interface like the Microham III.
I have some questions. First, since it looks like the "Remote" port on my IC-7600 has been fried (again), will I still need the "Remote" port if I switch to a Microham USB interface? Hoping I only need the USB port on the back of the radio. Does anyone know exactly what radio ports are required on the IC-7600 to use the Microham interface?
73,
David