Re: Switching from CT-17 RS-232 interface to a USB interface

Joe Subich, W4TV

So, let me see if I can guess what goes to what.

* USB cable to the USB port on the back of the radio, with other end
going to a USB port on the PC. * 3.5mm plug into the "Remote" CI-V radio port, with other end going
to a USB port on the PC. (is that even possible? > * USB cable going from USB port on Steppir controller, with other end
going to a USB port on the PC. > * USB cable going from USB port on Green Heron RT-21 controller, with
other end going to a USB port on the PC > * USB cable going from USB port on Elecraft amplifier, with other end
going to the PC
You will still need a multiple port serial card - with separate ports
for your SteppIR, rotator and amplifier. They will be controlled by
Commander's Secondary Serial Port just as before the lightning strike.
The only change is to use the virtual serial port created by the Icom
USB driver for CAT/CI-V instead of one of the ports on the multiple
serial port card and the CT-17.

See the various Icom documentation on-line.

Do I change anything with the SignaLink or leave it like it is?
If you want to use the Signalink instead of the IC-7600 internal USB
sound card, it connects to the ACC1 jack as it did before.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-07-18 5:08 PM, David Lane wrote:
Joe....not having dealt with any of this since the last lightning strike, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details to getting it all working again. I have read all the manuals again. I just want DXLab Suite to still have control of the Green Heron RT-21 rotator controller, the 4 ele SteppIr antenna controller, and the Elecraft KPA1500 amplifier.
- I WAS using a 4 port DB-9 serial port from the PC to control those pieces of gear, but if it would be better and easier to switch to USB, then that's what I'll do.
- I have been using a SignaLink USB hooked up to the IC-7600's ACC-1 port and a USB cable to the PC.
- I WAS using the Icom CT-17 interface connected to a serial port on the PC. From the CT-17 is one 3.5mm plug going to the radio's "Remote" CI-V port, and one 3.5mm plug (on one end) going to a DB-9 serial port on the Steppir controller.
So, let me see if I can guess what goes to what.
* USB cable to the USB port on the back of the radio, with other end going to a USB port on the PC.
* 3.5mm plug into the "Remote" CI-V radio port, with other end going to a USB port on the PC. (is that even possible?)
* USB cable going from USB port on Steppir controller, with other end going to a USB port on the PC.
* USB cable going from USB port on Green Heron RT-21 controller, with other end going to a USB port on the PC.
* USB cable going from USB port on Elecraft amplifier, with other end going to the PC
And all of these USB connections will turn into Comports which will be recognized by DXLab apps, right? Do I change anything with the SignaLink or leave it like it is?
I truly appreciate the help from other DXLab guys who've been there and done that.
David, K4ZZR
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:53 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Switching from CT-17 RS-232 interface to a USB interface

Like I said, I've been using DXLab Suite for many years using the
CT-17 and it has worked well, so is there any advantage to using
something like the USB interface instead? Just as stable?
Icom has built most of the capabilities of USB Interface III into the IC-7600 (USB sound card, USB to CI-V interface, etc.). Since the internal sound card supports dual channel audio, and as I have hinted previously, I would utilize the native capabilities of the transceiver.
Note: that recommendation would change if you were looking at station integration/automation features of microKEYER III and/or Station Master.
USB Interface III first shipped about the time Icom announced the
7600 (spring of 2009). At the time, no amateur transceiver had either built-in USB sound cards or USB based CAT interfaces.
... Joe, W4TV
On 2020-07-17 8:04 PM, David Lane wrote:

Joe....ok, appreciate the answer. Like I said, I've been using DXLab Suite for many years using the CT-17 and it has worked well, so is there any advantage to using something like the USB interface instead? Just as stable? Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to ship off my IC-7600 for another repair of the Remote port. Icom charged me about $900 to fix it 7 years ago by replacing the Main board. Ugh.
David, K4ZZR
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 7:55 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Switching from CT-17 RS-232 interface to a USB
interface
Since you raised this issue here, I will answer it here rather than from "Support@..." ...
I have some questions. First, since it looks like the "Remote" port
on my IC-7600 has been fried (again), will I still need the "Remote"
port if I switch to a Microham USB interface?
microHAM USB interfaces (like every other commercial rig interface) is essentially a USB to RS-232/FIF-232/IF-232/CI-V (equivalent to the Icom CT-17) device and USB sound card with interfacing for PTT, CW, FSK, etc. (depending on the manufacturer) in a single box. In order to control frequency of the transceiver ,it requires a functioning "Remote", CI-V, RS-232, FIF-232 (Yaesu), IF-232 (Kenwood) port on the rig.
Does anyone know exactly what radio ports are required on the IC-7600
to use the Microham interface?
The Icom-7600 contains a USB interface and a USB sound card. See your transceiver's Instruction Manual and any other documentation from the transceiver manufacturer for their implementation.
... Joe, W4TV
On 2020-07-17 7:17 PM, David Lane wrote:
I've used an Icom CT-17 RS-232 interface for several years and it's worked well. Now, after the latest lightning strike took out several pieces of gear (including the CT-17 and the "Remote" port on the back of my IC-7600, I'm thinking maybe it's time to go with a USB interface like the Microham III.
I have some questions. First, since it looks like the "Remote" port on my IC-7600 has been fried (again), will I still need the "Remote" port if I switch to a Microham USB interface? Hoping I only need the USB port on the back of the radio. Does anyone know exactly what radio ports are required on the IC-7600 to use the Microham interface?
David

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.