Re: 6m grid false positives in Spot Collector

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Peter Dougherty <lists@w2irt.net> wrote:

I'm having a problem with false FT8 positives firing off alerts.

I grid chase (and DXCC chase) on 6m. With my cluster connections up and WSJT and JTAlert-x connected, I get frequent hits for stations where the grid information is incorrect. I'm not talking about "gibberish spots" here, but legitimate spots that trigger incorrectly.
FWIW, there is an issue with the current version of SpotCollector when
the grid for a spot [database entry] is derived from the DXCC database
entry matching the station's callsign. In such cases, the spot
database entry is not supposed to be marked as needed, even if you do
need that grid, since the source of the grid data is not sufficiently
precise. There should be a fix in the next version of SpotCollector to
handle this properly. For me, this issue was most noticeable with VE
stations, where the grid would be one in the middle of the VE
province, most of which are in the middle of nowhere, hence needed.

Sorry that you missed out on EM43!

73,

~iain / N6ML