Re: Use Of Commander

I guess you have the impression that I have not done that. That is not the case. I have buttons and sliders created for Commander to handle virtually every function that I use. I have a set to do everything the Function button on the radio does, power levels, USB MOD LEVEL, AF Gain, etc. etc.

However, when I change, for example, the power level via the radio, my slider does not know about it. If commander was off when I did it, then when I start Commander, what I see on the screen is not what is on the radio.

OK, so I created a startup file that commander uses to preset most of the parameters the way I want them and enabled the "Initial Command Sequence" in the General tab. I turns the radio on, AGC off, sets the filter, turns off the compressor, etc. for FT8 use. The only problem with that is that it only has room for 32 commands. Since I color my buttons based on being on or off, each command can use up 3 lines. 32 lines is not enough.

+ Commander provides for up to 64 instructions per Command Sequence; to access instructions 33-64, click the "33-64" button in the Commands panel on the right side of the "User-defined Command Sequence" window. See the first sentence in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/CommandSequences.htm#Command%20Sequences>

Regardless, the purpose of it is that I know my starting point and use Commander to change settings rather than the radio.

Dave has explained that he cannot devote time to making Commander read the output for more commands than it already does and that's fine. So HRD and FLrig do exactly these things. One is free and one is not, but I have them both and really like the ability to adjust something via the PC or the radio and have it seen in both places.

+ Commander provides control and tracking of the transceiver's key settings: RX frequency, TX frequency, mode, split, RX/TX, and RX passband.

+ The primary purpose of user-defined Command Sequences is to automate the setting of multiple transceiver settings in support of an operating scenario -- like DXing on 160m in CW, or operating in a particular digital mode -- quickly and accurately adjusting multiple transceiver settings.

+ If the transceiver is accessible from your operating position, it should be just as easy to make individual transceiver setting changes via the radio's front panel as it is to invoke a Command Sequence or Slider, in which case the Command Sequence of Slider is unnecessary.

+ If the transceiver is not accessible from your operating position, as is the case when operating remotely, then all changes are made via Command Sequences and Sliders, in which case there's no need to update Commander Sequences and Sliders to reflect changes made from the transceiver's front panel.

+ The benefit of automatically updating Command Sequences and Sliders to reflect settings changes made via the transceiver's front panel is thus limited, which is why their development priority is low. There are better fish to fry.