From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: 21 May, 2020 02:17
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] An iota of work for Dave ...

On 2020-05-20 7:47 PM, w6de wrote:

However, US hams have to be members of the ARRL to use the LotW
program, so in essence you are already a LotW supporter.
*THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!*

There is no requirement to be an ARRL member to use (upload) to LotW
in any country. The only requirement is that a US amateur must be an
ARRL member in order to apply for/receive ARRL awards (DXCC, WAS, VUCC).

Um, no. When I use LOTW credits for WAS, I pay a fee for using those credits ON TOP OF the fee for the award. When I use LOTW credits for DXCC, I pay a fee for using those credits ON TOP OF the fee for the award. Same for VUCC. I have claimed all of those (multiples of WAS and DXCC) via LOTW. In these cases, the LOTW fees and the award fees all go to the ARRL.

When I finally apply for WPX using LOTW credits, I will I pay a fee for using them to ARRL. To get the award, I will pay a fee to CQ magazine, issuers of the WPX award. I'm sure this is true for WAZ as well, but since I am still 4 or 5 CQ Zones short, I've never looked into it.

Everyone else is freeloading off of the ARRL.

On 2020-05-20 7:47 PM, w6de wrote:
The fees paid are for awards issued by the organization collecting the fees. ARRL does not manage the IOTA program and does not issue IOTA Awards.
You pay IOTA for IOTA Awards, you pay ARRL for ARRL Awards, you pay CQ for CQ Awards (e.g., WAZ, WPX).
The IOTA pulling QSO information from LotW is information about your potential IOTA Awards that you will pay IOTA for.
If you already upload your DXKeeper QSOs to ClubLog the IOTA can get your QSO information from ClubLog and you don't need to give the IOTA your ARRL LotW credentials.
Note: YOU as an IOTA member initiate these IOTA queries to LotW and/or ClubLog from within your IOTA log-on.

If you are concerned about supporting the ARRL LotW program you can always make donations to the ARRL. However, US hams have to be members of the ARRL to use the LotW program, so in essence you are already a LotW supporter.

73,
Dave, w6de