Re: Spot Collector install goes horribly wrong

Chuck, WS1L

I have sometimes observed this behavior with other program installations.  It seems to have little rhyme or reason but allowing Office to repair has always worked for me.  Caveat: It has been a few years, I think Office 2010 through 2013 vintage.  I don't recall seeing it with Office 365.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 6:12 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

* more AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 03:47 PM, John Pelham wrote:

+ Installing Spotcollector should have no impact on an Office installation. Your Office installation may have been independently compromised.

If I try to run SC (it's in my Start menu), I get a popup from Windows Installer that starts to install something. I click cancel, it says 'canceling...,' but it never does. I go to Task Manager and find SC in the running apps list. When I end it, the stuck Windows Installer dialog box goes away.
# After the new install, when I started SC, the same thing happened. That is, MS Office dialogs popped up,
# just as previously. Killing SC in Task Manager made the Office dialogs go away, just as previously.

+ The only reliable solution that I can suggest is to backup all important files, confirm that integrity of those backups, erase the C: drive, re-install Windows, carefully re-install your applications, and then restore your files.
# Instead, I ran the Office installer, and even though my Office programs were working fine, I directed it to Repair
# my Office installation. It needed the install DVD, and it took about 15 minutes to finish. When it did, the problem was
# gone. SC runs fine now.

# If someone told me this story I'd have a hard time believing it. But all is well now, and I will try to forget it.

* Thanks for reporting your actions and results, John! I can't guess what went wrong with Microsoft Office, but if another user someday reports that starting a DXLab application causes Office to report errors, I will suggest that they run the Office installer and direct it to repair their Office installation.

       73,

              Dave, AA^YQ

--
73 de Chuck, WS1L