Re: Infected file for Commander 14.5.5 update?

neil_zampella

I've been using it for over 20 years ... AVG Internet Security.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/10/2020 12:42 PM, w6de wrote:

Neil, what virus detection program do you use.  I like how you describe it works.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of neil_zampella
Sent: 10 April, 2020 02:45
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Infected file for Commander 14.5.5 update?

There is no trojan or virus in any DXLab executable.    Just as there is no virus or trojan in other ham radio programs like JTAlert, WSJT-X, and many others that get 'triggered' due to some algorithm only known to Microsoft.     I have never had a problem with any DXLab program, nor with the others I mentioned.

Its not so strange that this has occurred to many ham radio programs since this last Windows update.   The really bad design of Defender is that it does not give you any indication of what its doing nor does it give you a chance to say NO.    Another display of how Microsoft wants to 'help' you.

I use a third-party anti-virus that allows me to make the decisions on what happens when it detects 'a virus'.    I can accept the quarantine, continue to install/run the program, or take the option to send it to their 'virus lab' which then returns a result within 15 to 20 minutes (often much earlier). Most often it is a false positive, and they update their definition file at the same time.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/9/2020 8:10 PM, Jack Brabham - KZ5A wrote:

I don't think this is a false positive.  Defender is finding and identifying a specific Trojan.

I'm not reloading Dx Lab unless there is some resolution beyond "ignore it and go on".

73 Jack KZ5A

On 4/9/2020 2:14 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:

I should add to my instructions about how to remove a file from quarantine:

I'm no computer expert. I found that this procedure works for me. In the interests of avoiding any liability from someone who gets in a jam by not following the instructions precisely, or finds them inaccurate or unhelpful:

"While believed to be correct, this advice comes with no guarantees of any kind. You alone remain responsible for the security of information on your computer system".

It's sad, when trying to help people that a statement like this has to be made, but....

What is the saying: YMMV? Use Windows 10 at your own risk? Take a file out of quarantine at your own risk?

By the time we are done with all this CMA stuff, we might as well turn all this ham radio equipment off and watch TV.

Nevertheless, the advice to put in a disclaimer when trying to help anyone with any software is excellent advice!

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:03 PM Hasan Schiers N0AN via groups.io <hbasri.schiers6=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mike:

Finding and Restoring a File from Windows Defender Quarantine:

0. Close all DXLab Programs
1. Bottom Left > Search Box for your Desktop
  (Magnifying Glass just to right of Windows Icon)
2. Type in "Virus & threat protection" (no quotes)
3. The Virus & threat protection app will appear in the search results. Click on it to run it.
4. At the Top 1/4 of the page there is a link: Protection History Click on it.
5. All Recent Items are shown
6. Select the Quarantined File that has been falsely quarantined
7. Chose to Restore it

8. Close the Window

Caveat: Once you have restored the file,  you may or may not have to move it to the proper directory. Not being in front of your computer I can't really tell.

9. Restart all your chosen DXLab Programs

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:33 PM Michael Schulz <mschulz@...> wrote:

Hi,

I just tried to update Commander to the latest version but it was stopped by Windows Defender. Below

screenshot with more info:

Error! Filename not specified.

73 Mike K5TRI

--

What you learn, you must share. What you know, you must teach! - www.creative-chaos.com  -  @mschulz

PGP Signature: D300 B646 0D26 2E56 4176  B3C0 141D 9201 3ADF 22CF