Re: DXView, Database updates, DX lookups & Rotor control enable feature request

Stephen Rabinowitz

In connecting my TS-990 to a computer I had problems with both FTDI and Prolific chipsets. The problem was solved by following the recommendation of:

Leo Fahmie KJ6HI DM03

Amateur Radio Technical Support

Service Division / Communication Sector

JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation

Long Beach, CA 90810

kcc-amateur@...

Hours: M ~ F 8:30 ~ 4:30 P.M. PST

Phone: (310) 639-4200 voice prompts 4, 1

Leo said:

If you plan to use a DB-9 to a USB cable to connect to your PC from the

DB-9 serial connection on back panel of the TS-990S I would only recommend one cable.

RT Systems USB-63

This cable works on ALL Kenwood HF transceivers with a DB-9 serial connection including the TS-990S, and TS-890S. 

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/USB-63-Programming-CAT-Cable-p/usb-63.htm

I followed his instructions with excellent results.

73, Steve K2SN

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Morrison
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:46 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] DXView, Database updates, DX lookups & Rotor control enable feature request

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:31 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ If that's the case, the device driver is defective. Can you use a USB-to-serial-port-converter and connect to the controller's serial port?

Its actually sort of odd.  It doesn't use the usual gang of USB to serial chipsets like FTDI or Prolific.  Basically its a generic device called "USB Serial Device (COMx)".  It doesn't require any drivers, all you do is plug the usb cable in and it loads the generic MS Windows usbser.sys driver.  The power switch on the controller is a cold boot, there's no power left on the controller when its switched off.  There is  no device detection when the USB cable is connected until power is applied to the controller.  Even then its a bit different, it didn't detect like a normal device when first attached and it doesn't do any type of search each time the controller is powered back on.  It simply disappears and reappears each time.  

When it disappears and reappears, its doing something that's confusing Windows, because DXV must think that port is still open and can't talk to it.  Toggling the Enable in DXV fixes it, and I'm not sure what to think about the double clicking of the direction.. but it always takes two clicks the first time.

Charlie
N5WE

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.