Re: DXView, Database updates, DX lookups & Rotor control enable feature request

Charles Morrison

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
+ Closing DXView's Configuration window has no impact on anything. Unchecking Enable will close the serial port, checking it will re-open the serial port. If clicking the bearing button twice is required, that peculiar to the rotator.
Thanks, checking and unchecking does preclude closing and reopening the config dialog.  I hadn't tried that.
+ No other Green Heron user is reporting the need for that.
I can't comment on that, but its completely repeatable EVERY time with this RT21 connected via the USB port (which as you know disappears when you turn it off).  If I leave DXV running and power it off and back on, DXV cannot send a direction to the controller without (now I know) unchecking and rechecking the Enable box in the config.  Perhaps most of them are like Steve and use the serial port, or open and close DXV.  Just thought I'd ask.

+ DXView can't "lose the port". It can direct Windows to close the port (when you uncheck, the Enable box), and it can direct Windows to open the port (when you check the Enable box). Everything else is the responsibility of Windows, the serial port device driver, the serial port, and the rotator controller.
Perhaps a bad choice of wording.  It doesn't change the fact that this scenario is repeatable, but I'll get used to unchecking and rechecking the enable box each time I turn the controller on.  The bottom line is that with this controller I can't power it off and back on without either exiting and restarting DXV, unchecking and rechecking the enable box or as Steve says in the next message, use the serial port.

Charlie
N5WE