Re: Windows 10 Automatic Update Created Issue with Serial Ports

w6de

Have Windows-10 stop updating device drivers automatically.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Choose the “How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Update using Group Policy” this is a little saver than editing the registry.

Follow the directions given.

I know this works for Windows-10-Pro.  If Windows-10 for Home won’t allow you to perform this group policy change, you’ll have to use the Registry Edit procedure.

Make sure your USB to serial adapter is a FTDI chip based adapter.  Also down load the FTDI driver.  And, perform the Group Policy change to keep automatic updates from overloading your FTDI driver with the Microsoft generic USB driver.

Even if you aren’t using the USB to Serial adapters, stop the automatic driver updates.

Now, having said that, with my Windows-10 update to version 1909, the V-1909 update among other things un-did that Policy Change, threw away my FTDI driver, changed all the port assignments AND screwed up my default sound card assignments.

73,

Dave, w6de