Re: Windows 10 Automatic Update Created Issue with Serial Ports

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:22 PM fjk5146 <fredjkeller@...> wrote:

I don't know if any of you have experienced the issue that I ran into yesterday. The Windows 10 desktop used for my ham shack was automatically updated to Version 1909 on March 4th. I tried to operate my station for the first time since the update yesterday. I quickly discovered that Commander was not communicating with my radio. I also found the DXView could not communicate with my Green Heron RT-11 Rotator.
Dave has (somewhere) instructions on disabling automagic updates.
I'll dig for those and see if I can beat AA6YQ to it. :-) It is a
little dependent on which level of W10 you have, IIRC. Tools like USB
Device Tree Viewer (https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html) and
screen shots are helpful for reconfiguring regardless.

USB -> RS-232 is stable in my experience if you follow (again!) Dave's
advice about configuring the ports, the important thing being don't
let them take a nap.

My PC (an Intel NUC) has no legacy ports and no slots for
old-fashioned cards, so all my serial ports are connected via USB,
whether it's the 4-port Siig adapter, the Arduino Nanos in my Morttys
or the CI-V adapters I have for some of my Icoms.