Re: RF in Commander

Bill Pence

Wait.  So the radio does not change, but the commander display does?

Wow. Maybe commander IS losing cat comms to the radio?

I think I misread the description. I understood the RADIO changed.

Ok, maybe ferrites are warranted.

Best of luck. Let us know if ferrites help.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020, 12:24 PM Bill via Groups.Io <ko4nrbs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bumped the power up to 150 watts and it did it with the red goalpost set between 500 and 1000.

Screwy problem.  The frequency does not change on WSJT-X or the radio when it happens.

73,
Bill

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 11:18:49 AM CDT, Bill Pence <pence.bill@...> wrote:

I would be surprised if it truly IS rf on the cat cable since this look very much like a CAT command to adjust the frea.  I'd think rf on the cat cable would
create a CAT error by disrupting the communications betwen the PC and radio...

I suspect that WSJT is actually moving teh TX freq to "center" the tx signal in the passband...

I thnk you mentioned that below 1500hz it does not shift?

can you go over 130w if the TX freq in WSJT  is below 1500 hz ?

I know wsjt CAN adjust the vfo to shift the TX signal in the audio passband to improve tx audio (avoiding audio filters in the radio.)
might be what you are seing...

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM Bill via Groups.Io <ko4nrbs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Exactly what I thought.  Been doing a lot of testing and found below 130 watts or so the problem goes away.  Will order some clamp on ferrites and keep the power down.
73,
Bill

On Saturday, March 14, 2020, 02:26:41 PM CDT, Mike Flowers <mike.flowers@...> wrote:

I would suspect RFI on the audio cables to/from the soundcard and possibly on the CAT cable.

See:  http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf