Re: Pre-filtering

Rod Greene

Dave,

Looks good to me especially if two can be used together such as Band and Mode.

Thanks! and 73, Rod/w7zrc

On Sunday, February 16, 2020, 7:40:26 PM MST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Hi Dave. It varies. I have two QTHs. One is rather "capable" station-wise; the other is less so (but the WX is better) ;<). I have a fair idea of what i can hear from both locations, although I'm sometimes surprised (that's consistent with a point I think you've made in the past). So, I change the parameters a bit depending on where I am. SC has a ultra-capable ability to filter stuff I don't want/can't hear. But there is some stuff I don't want to GET to SC. The fire hose can be crippling -- particularly when stations from all over the planet are feeding FT4/8 spots.

So, to your question ... My experience tells me that if I limit the "spot input" to SC for FT4/8 spots to North America that seems to be satisfactory. If someone in Brazil can hear them but not a single station in NA has it's rather unlikely I will either. I have another VE7CC installation where the fish/spot net is cast more broadly. For CW, I want to cover a broader area, Greenland, Iceland, Northern SA, etc. For phone/RTTY/other spots, I see no need to pre-filter at all; the load on SC is negligible for these, regardless of their source. (Obviously, for 6m spots, well, that's a different issue.)

+ Thanks, Rick. You're far from the only DXLab user that "pre-filters" (discards some spots before they are added to the Spot Database). There is pre-filtering capability in SpotCollector, but it's limited to discarding spots of a specified callsign and discarding spots by a specified callsign:

+ I'm thinking about adding  additional pre-filtering to SpotCollector"

- by band (630m through 12cm)

- by mode group (SSB, AM, FM, CW, RTTY, PSK, FT4, FT8, JTx, OtherDigital)

- by origin (NAE, NAM, NAW, SA, EU, AS, AF, OC)

+ To users who pre-filter or would like to, what's missing from the above capabilities?