Re: Batch Editing

Jeff, K6JW

Thanks so much, Dave. I've been licensed for over 60 years, and this just proves that there's always something new to learn.
73,
Jeff, K6JW

On 1/31/2020 2:28 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm new to DXLab, having just converted from another program.

+ Welcome to DXLab, Jeff!

The log I imported includes contacts made with my old callsign as well as those made with my current callsign. The "Operator" Field is mostly correct, but it is blank for many hundreds of contacts with my current callsign.

Not all of these blank field entries are contiguous in the log. I'd like to do a batch edit to set all the operator contacts from the callsign start date to the present, but I don't see how to do this in any of the help materials. Can anyone tell me how to do it, short of going into the MS Access file and doing it with a query and edit?

+ Yes:

1. Backup your log (Configuration window, Log tab, Backup button - always essential when you're about to invoke a function that modifies multiple QSOs)

2. Filter the Log Page Display to contain all QSOs made since you began using your current callsign

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/FilterLog.htm#Filtering%20for%20Time%20Intervals>

3. Direct DXKeeper to set the "Station Callsign" of al QSOs the Log Page Display to K6JW

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/ModifyLog.htm>

+ The "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window's "UTC Filter" panel makes it easy to filter the Log Page Display to contain only QSOs made in a specified time interval, but for the simple case of filtering the Log Page Display to contain only QSOs made after a specified date, you can simply type that date (in YYYY-MM-DD format) into the textbox in the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, and then click the Filter panel's Since button.

+ The "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window's "Modify QSOs" panel enables you to modify a specific item in each QSO in the Log Page Display. To display this window, click the Adv button just above the Log Page Display on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab. In the "Modify QSOs in Log Page Display" panel at the bottom of this window

3a. set the "Item name" selector to STATION_CALLSIGN

3b. set the "Item new value" to K6JW

3c. click the Mod button

+ Step-by-step instructions are available here like those above are available here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOModifying>

Also, as a sort of related issue, I haven't found a clear explanation in the help files of the Auxiliary callsign fields.

+ Every item that DXKeeper can record for a QSO is described here, organized by panel on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Items.htm>

Just what callsigns should appear there?
Mine? Those of stations worked?

+ station call: "the station callsign you used over the air"

+ op call: "the callsign of your station's operator"

+ owner call: " the callsign of your station's owner"

+ Of these, only the station call is mandatory, as it is referenced by DXLab's award tracking and QSLing automation.

Thanks for any help you can offer this DXLab newbie.

+ Take a look at

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper>

+ Gaining familiarity with DXLab applications takes time. As is suggested in the "Reference Documentation" section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted>

"To get comfortable with a DXLab application, start by scanning this documentation to create an inventory of the application's features that you plan to use first. It's important that you ignore all details and secondary features during this scan!; you can always return for the details when needed, and you can always return to scan for secondary features once you've mastered the most important ones."

+ All questions are welcome here, no matter how many times they may have already been asked and answered, or how obvious the answer may be in the documentation.