Re: Email error from SpotCollector

Tom Schaefer NY4I

I thought I posted this but forgot to hit send...

From the trace:

220 <server name removed by NY4I> Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 8.5.9600.16384 ready at  Mon, 16 Dec 2019 16:00:35 -0500
EHLO RADIO

Well, I punted...I figured the number of people using an open SMTP server on their subnet is quite low (if not 1). To the end, rather than waste any more time debugging CDO (which is long past deprecated) or SpotCollector's use of it, I created a user on my SMTP server that cannot login to any systems and has no rights. I then put that user and password in the dialog in SpotCollector and the test email worked. To answer a conjecture, an IP address works fine so a FQDN is not required.

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread, I will summarize that if you want to use SpotCollector to send email to the Microsoft SMTP server on Windows 2012 R2 server without authentication, it does not seem to work. Adding authentication works just fine.

Thanks,

Tom NY4I