Re: VK9NC not Norfolk?

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2019-10-18 5:38 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
+ If there's not a more recent policy announcement from ACMA, then
all VK9 callsigns are ambiguous as to location, and will require
overrides to be defined for an accurate location fix.
The 2009 information from WIA/ACMA is the most recent to the best of
my knowledge. However, since *most* operations continue to request
calls that conform to the "old" '4th character' paradigm, the DXCC
Database maps VK9C = Cocos, VK9L = Lord Howe, VK9M = Mellish, VK9W =
Willis, VK9X = Christmas, and all other VK9 = Norfolk.

This appears to match what is done by both Clublog and AD1C's
CTY/Big CTY files although some of the "contest specific" CTY files
(issued before ARRL DX, CQWW, etc.) contain overrides for any
"nonconforming" calls announced for a given contest. However, since
the CTY format does not provide for start/end dates and callsigns can
be reissued for use from other entities, those limited duration
callsigns are not found in the BigCTY file and often disappear in
the next routine CTY file.

Dave, it seems to me that it would be safe to remove the "hard
coded" 'fifth character' check. I suspect the only time it would
be appropriate is for "Foundation class" licensees (e.g., VK9Fxxx)
and not likely to be encountered with serious DXPeditions.

On 2019-10-18 5:38 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I am not aware of any documentation either way. But judging from the call signs of the past few years activations it seems to be the fourth character that determines the DXCC entity.
The fact that neither Big CTY nor Club Log offer an exception/override to me suggests there is an actual rule.
Club Log considers any VK9 call to be Norfolk except those that have C (Cocos), L (Lord Howe), M (Mellish), W (Willis) or X (Christmas) as the fourth character. From where Mike got this information, I do not know. I will ask him. I am already in contact with him through my work with the DXLog Live Stream gateway for Club Log.
+ OK. Paul N1BUG just cited
https://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2009/20091021-1/index.php
+ which says
"Under the new provisions, all VK9 licensees, including overseas visitors, will be able to operate under the portable provisions of the Amateur Licence Conditions Determination in any External Territory or mainland state or territory. The issue about the callsign identifying the location, attracted the most interest. Callsigns allocated to amateur licences authorising operation in the External Territories will no longer contain a letter indicating a specific operating location. VK9 callsigns will continue to reflect the licence category (Advanced, Standard or Foundation)."
+ This is dated 2009-10-21.
+ Michael G7VJR operated from Norfolk Island a few years ago, and so may well have additional information.